Fort Clinch State Park, one of the oldest parks in the Florida park system, was acquired in September 1935. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was responsible for some of the initial development of the park. Occupied by both Union and Confederate troops during the Civil War, Fort Clinch was never completed due to slow construction. The development of more powerful armament rendered the fort's masonry walls obsolete.
Significant plant communities throughout the park's 1,100 acres include sand dunes, overwash plains, maritime hammock and estuarine tidal marsh. Many of these can be observed from the nature trail at Willow Pond or the paved roadway through the hammocks. These are also prime locations for bird watching and nature study.
Fort Clinch is a 19th-century brick fortress begun in 1847 after the end of the Second Seminole War. It was named in honor of General Duncan Lamont Clinch, important figure in the First and Second Seminole Wars. The only battle to occur at Clinch was when Union troops recaptured the fort in 1862 after Confederate forces seized control the previous year. Fort Clinch served as the base of Union operations in the area throughout the Civil War.
In 1935, the State of Florida bought 256 acres (1.0 km2) that included the then-abandoned fort and the surrounding area. Fort Clinch State Park including the fort, opened to the public in 1938.
2601 Atlantic Avenue, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Not as impressive as Castillo de San Marcos but not too bad on its own. The nature trails were pretty much bone dry which is always disappointing but that's one of the problems of not visiting at the right time.